NETworX CATAWBA is a faith-based program offered by Greater Hickory Cooperative Christian Ministry, supported by area churches, the faith community and partnering organizations with the goal of moving families out of poverty.
The NETworX CATAWBA program works with economically distressed individuals and families living in poverty to help them toward self-sufficiency and economic stability. The NETworX CATAWBA initiative is a multi-dimensional model for reducing poverty based on national research suggesting that low-income families must have a support system of intentional relationships across economic and class lines to access resources in the community to move toward self-sufficiency. NETworX CATAWBA is also a model for systemic change that helps communities move toward ending poverty by working together to develop goals, practices, and policies that enable self-sufficiency.
There are several SMART Goals of NETworX CATAWBA, including:
- Enroll 15 individuals (or families), called Champions of Change, to participate in the first 12-week training, to begin Monday, September 14, 2015.
- At least 50% of the participants will obtain employment during the course of the project.
- During the project period, 100% of those obtaining new employment will experience an increase in income, increase in assets and/or a reduction in public assistance.
- Other measurable goals include quality of life indicators including physical, cognitive, emotional, social, relational and spiritual components.
How can you help with NETworX CATAWBA? While much of the NETworX CATAWBA program cost is offset through
volunteerism, the program also requires financial support from the community to help cover Champions of Change stipends and other costs associated with the program. We will begin our first 12-week NETworX CATAWBA class on Monday, September 14, 2015. We need volunteers to:
- Serve as an Ally (mentor) to Champions. Call or complete and return the Ally application by July 31, 2015.
- Help identify Champions. Have them call or complete and return the Champion application by July 15, 2015.
- Sponsor a Champion of Change Scholarship, providing a $250/half or $500/full scholarship of a NETworX family. We are asking individuals, churches and businesses to consider sponsoring one NETworX scholarship.
- Serve on a NETworX Catawba Committee (complete and return a Volunteer application by July 31, 2015):
- Work with area churches to coordinate weekly Meals.
- Go to NETworX Mealtrain page to sponsor a meal.
- Assist with Childcare at each meeting.
- Tutoring for school-aged children during meetings.
- Volunteer your time. Complete the Community/Church Survey to assist Champions with specific needs.
- Serve as the Ally Coordinator for your church or business. Help recruit and train new Allies.
- Assist Champions of Change with Transportation to and from meetings.
- Assist with Hospitality, greeting, set-up and clean-up after each meeting.
This is an exciting opportunity for our community to help families living in Catawba County move out of poverty. For more information about NETworX Catawba, please contact Liz Gobelbecker at GHCCM at (828) 828-323-7910 or email NETworXCatawba@ccmHickory.com.